Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Autumnal adventures

I have had an exceptionally busy and wonderful autumn, most full of adventures and challenges. Not easy, but good. Very good. Three noteworthy adventures have marked this season and my life, and I would be mistaken to not share them.

The first journey has been one of writing my short story, which you have been able to see bits and pieces of. I went from a hesitant writer that struggled to ever finish writing stories to a still-hesitant but more confident writer who has aspirations of continuing to write short stories and attempting to publish them. My writing prof has been a great encourager (as have my other readers), and I learned the incredible importance of workshops and hearing the words of others regarding my work. I "finished" to fly, my story. I would like to expand it and work a few parts over, but I'm still really happy with it. If I haven't sent it to you and you want to read the full story, ask and I'll send it your way. I'm looking forward to being in the right mind to get working on some other stories.

The second, at least chronologically, adventure was that I became a boyfriend. Two months ago I worked up the courage to ask the lovely Sarah out on a date. We went out for Mexican and then talked and talked. It went well enough to go on another and another, and pretty soon we were dating and then we were "facebook official". This is the first real dating relationship I've ever been in, so it has been a bit of a wandering around in the dark, attempting to figure out what exactly I'm supposed to do, how I'm supposed to lead and protect her and the like. And how to plan dates! Oh how I never realized that you actually had to plan things to do. Despite the "work" that is involved that I never realized, it's been a really fun experience and we are looking forward to whatever is on the horizon.

My third adventure was a venture across the sea. Brandon,Steph and I travelled over the pond to visit Ush and Stef, who live in London. Once the jet lag wore off [mostly] we explored the city and conquered the Tube. We walked so many miles those first three days, but we managed to see nearly every old building that we wanted to see. My favorite was Westminster Abbey; it's an amazing place full of English history and was beautiful enough to direct my thoughts to God, which I'm assuming is the purpose of an Abbey. And we spent a couple of days in Amsterdam. I actually spent Thanksgiving wandering around the city by myself and reading in a hostel, it was nice, but I certainly missed being at home with the family. And I missed Sarah, which was a bit of a new experience. By that point in the trip we were all pretty worn out, so there was a lot of laying about, which was really okay. We did round the week out by going to the Arsenal-Chelsea match, which was amazing, and did indeed convert me into an Arsenal fan, despite the bad loss. Overall, a great trip. I loved London, I really liked Amsterdam. I'd like to go back, not only to continue exploring London, but also to see visit the Pai's again.

So that was my autumn. I actually started writing this post right after I got back from London, some two weeks ago, but my life has been so busy since that this is the first time I've had to finish it. But you all are in luck, I have a lot of time on my hands and several ideas to get on this here blog in the next few weeks. If you want a copy of the story, email me. If you want to look at pics of my trip, check facebook. I'm looking forward to what adventures winter holds for me, if they are anywhere close to these past few months, surely I'll continue to be blessed. you have my love.

1 comment:

KatieSSSSSSSSS said...

Tarvie -
Yay for everything you listed!! I am so excited to meet Miss Sarah...I have a feeling I'm going to love her.

Yay for your story...I would love to read it sometime!

Yay for your adventure in Europa. You were missed.