Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Writer's commentary on "to fly"

Rocky Butte state park, NE Portland. I would go there sometimes after I would drop the Sanchezes off at the airport. Annie's Donuts, of course. The idea for the story came from dreams that I have a few times a year in which I witness plane crashes, the reoccurring dreams that the protagonist has are some of the dreams that I have had. The first time I flew I was six months old, to South Carolina. The last time I flew was to Portland, where the story is set. I'm definitely not afraid to fly. The college in Spokane: Gonzaga, the Zags. The grad school: Notre Dame, a M.M.S. in Medieval Studies. Johanna was originally Joanna, taken from using the "random article" function on wikipedia, Joanna of Castille. I switched it to Johanna because of a girl I knew at Trinity who I thought was very pretty, but I was afraid to talk to her. I have been to the Vatican, it was incredible, even as a non-Catholic. I listened to A LOT of Ryan Adams / Cardinals while writing it, I wonder if it comes through. Sometimes I feel like my style is somehow new, but I know it isn't. I don't like fully disclosing some aspects of the story. Such as: A) I'm not sure whether or not that the protagonist's name will ever be revealed. B) It's clearly set in Portland, but I may never come out and say that [so my Iowan readers won't pick up on that]. I think it's interesting that no one in the workshop said anything about the fact that the father disappeared from the story [which was purposeful], but they wanted to know where the story was taking place. I haven't really written any dialogue for the story yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I figured out today how the story will end, but I have a feeling that most of the people in my class will be disappointed. I won't be. It's the right way to end it and I'm fairly certain that it's good, i.e. unsafe.

These are my thoughts on the first thousand words. I really like the process of writing, it's a challenge that I'm up to. No one in class asks me where the pieces of the story come from, but I think it's worth sharing. Maybe that's just me. you have my love.

1 comment:

The Family Gus said...

Lack of safety = story I want to read...

Thanks for letting us in the process, Visto. Keep it coming our way. Good things.