Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

It is no secret that I have recently given into and fully embraced that which is Battlestar Galactica [BSG]. For those who doubt, I challenge you to watch it, and by the end of the second [2.5] season you can make a judgement call on it. However, this post is only inspired by BSG, not about it. Let me proceed.

One reason I like BSG so much is the idea of a Battlestar fleet in general. There is a fleet of ships out there, defending the peoples and exploring the great expanse of space. Obviously BSG isn't the first narrative to go on about the idea of exploration [Star Trek, On The Road, Moby Dick?, etc.], and furthermore is more about the protection aspect, which is why this post isn't necessarily about the show, but about the idea. I have long had a love for the idea of exploration. Sometimes when I am in a beautiful place I wonder what it would be like to be the first person ever to see it. Can you imagine what the first person thought when they saw the Grand Canyon? I've never been, but I've seen pictures so I would know what to expect - and even then I would be amazed beyond belief. Now imagine someone who was just trekking along and came across it. I would have loved to be with Magellan as he travelled around [circumvent] the world.

The second part of the equation is that, in these narratives and real life events, the exploration was done in community. These days people cross oceans and continents and the world by themselves and are heralded as champions of the human spirit, or some crap like that. When I see those stories in the news I think, 'man, I would miss my loved ones. Wouldn't it be such a better trip if they were with them?' And it's true. I have verified personal, experiential evidence that proves when one experiences something that ought be meaningful, it is less meaningful when experienced alone. [It should be noted at this point that I'm tired and drinking whiskey, so I'm not sure where this is going anymore*]. I could go into great detail about community and such, but if you're reading my blog you more than likely know how I feel about community. If you don't, ask, I'll inform you.

So, there the crew of Galactica is, floating around in space, living in community. It's harsh and imperfect and ripe for exploration and adventure. Eating meals together, mourning and celebrating, learning to forgive, forgetting and learning again. Community and exploration, hand in hand. To me, there may be nothing better. So either I join the Starfleet or I get going on finding a way to live that out here on terra firma. And I'm happy to do that, I'm excited at the possibilities ahead of me. Excited to explore this life more fully than I have been these past few years. There's a positive turn coming up around the bend, I feel it and it's unsafe and ready to be embraced. you have my love.


*Rambleblog of the year. Friends don't let friends drink and blog.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sometimes I think about how the grass in my front yard is potentially millions of years old, and it blows my mind.

Katie always says that you and I should go on the Amazing Race. I think we would kill it.

kaci jo said...

I feel like now when I watch BSG I will have a whole new insight on the show and definitely look at it in a deeper way instead of just being shocked when I learn of a new Cylon.

I think we often take for granted the gift of community especially when you've been blessed with an amazing community. You start to think it is something that everyone experiences, but it isn't. A rockstar book about that is 'life together' by Bonhoeffer.