Friday, October 09, 2009

The early days

I've been blogging for nearly seven years now, though, as some of my long-term readers can attest, I've been inconsistent at points. I was looking over some of those first posts and was thinking about how far I've come. I was twenty-one, a junior in college, living with a bunch of guys whom I still considered some of my best friends, and I was just learning how to write. Not in the sense of my ABC's, or learning how to type or even write a paper. I was learning how to write what I was feeling. But it didn't come out that way a lot of times.

For a long while I wrote about what was going on in my life, and it ended up coming across more like a report of what I did or was doing. Of course I can look at the posts and remember the emotions behind it. And I can see hints of what was going on behind the scenes, so to speak. There was a lot of editing, trying not to reveal too much and yet give a somewhat reliable story of my life. And I suppose the editing still goes on, it's tough for me to justify putting my whole heart out on the internet.

My writing evolved. The report-like posts gave way to a variety of different types of posts: topical essays, anecdotes, rants, fragmented absurdities, lists, best of's, etc. I suppose I realized the boringness of having to read someone's what I did today posts when that is all the person ever posted. Now days I'm trying to find the stories in my life and write about them. Or making up stories and posting them. Or putting together some introspective thoughts. Sometimes I think it would be nice to return to those old style posts, just giving the details and leaving my thoughts out. It would be easier, especially when I am going through the crap of life and don't really want to anyone to step in and sift through it with me. But a long time ago I made the decision to share my life, not always through this blog, but sometimes through it. And it would be dishonest and less safe for me to return to that. But then again, I could just write ambiguous and introspective thoughts and leave you with no real insight into my life*. you have my love.

*Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to end this post.

No comments: