Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The end of academia

Not quite. That is to say that I'm almost done with Higher Education v.3.3, but not quite. Close. I'm in week four of ten of my internship, the internship that will close out yet another chapter of my time in academia. And it is quite possibly the last chapter. I have to say "quite possibly" because I don't know what the future holds for me. What I can say is that I'm ready to enter into the workforce and stay there for a long while, I am hoping that the workforce reciprocates.

What can I say about the past, uh, eleven years* of academic endeavor? It's had its fair share of peaks and troughs for sure, and I've mostly enjoyed it. I learned to really like learning, something which would have been nice in about ninth grade. I re-fell in love with reading. I learned all sorts of cool stuff. My learnings lead me to Chicago, Boston, Portland, Ames and lots of places in between. And I met some of the greatest people in the world through those travelings.

When I left Portland, I had all the intention in the world to not go back to school. But when I struggled to get adequate work back here in Iowa, I thought going back to Iowa State would be a way to begin anew and find a solid career track in the health field. And now I find myself nervously toeing the line for my next job search. Honestly, I'm not confident that I'll make it into the health field, which sucks. But at this point the only thing I'm looking for, sadly, is a paycheck. Goodbye workplace contentment, hello rent money. So it goes.

Academia, you were good to me. You tested me and found me to be true but insecure in my path. Thank you for bringing me to where I am today, but I think I can make it not-so-much-on-my-own from here. you have my love.


* 17 full time semesters [6 at ISU, 2 at DMACC, 2 at Multnomah Seminary, 7 at Trinity], 1 part time semester [DMACC], 5 summer "semesters" [Boston, Valley Church, 3 at ISU]

1 comment:

kaci jo said...

I feel like we should have a farewell school party rather than a graduation party for you.