Wednesday, June 09, 2010

How I will be cheering during the World Cup

The World Cup is approximately thirty-three hours away, and that makes me really quite excited. Since the rest of the world calls it "football," I will, in this post and for the next few weeks refer to it as "football" as well. With thirty-two teams vying for the title of the world's best footballing nation, I have decided that I will pre-align my allegiances before play begins. Once my team gets knocked out, I'll have to have someone to cheer for, and it's always fun to have other teams to cheer for or against in the other groups and on the other side of the bracket. This post has been, in part, shaped by what I read at the World Cup Blog, which has waaaaay too many great articles. Seriously, if you RSS it, you will have a lot of posts to read. And if you are figuring out who to cheer for, this post is a solid resource, as is this one. Ok, down to brass tack, how I will be cheering during the World Cup:

For
The United States - I'm not a nationalistic person at all, but during world sporting events, I do enjoy seeing the States do well. And, if you know the history of US football, we haven't been terribly successful in the past, oh, ever, but we're supposedly we're getting better. At least that's what people have been saying for the past several decades. Regardless, I like our team, and we have a good group draw, it looks promising that we'll get into the round of sixteen, and from there, well, it will be tough. But I think we have what it takes to go far, and that's what I'll be cheering for.

The Netherlands - In my reading I would say that the Oranje are one of the four most favorited teams in this year's World Cup. One of their strikers is an Arsenal man, Robin van Persie [RvP]. They have great jerseys [called a "kit"]. And I would love to see them win the Cup over some of the teams that are in the next two sections.

England - Aside from the match this Saturday, I do want to see the Three Lions do really well. Football is an English game, and some of the most beautiful football is played in England these days, so it would be great to see them take the Cup home. All that being said, I hope the US kicks the crap out of them on Saturday. Sorry, Ush.

Germany - It's no secret that I love the nation of Germany. I have a heart for German people, their mountains and their beer [speaking of which...]. I don't care much for their style of play, but it's effective. I'd say that the Germans, the English and the Dutch are in high contention for third place so it will be fun to see how they do.

Cameroon - The Cup being in Africa, you really have to hope that an African team kicks a little ass and makes it in the round of sixteen, Cameroon could definitely do that. One of my favorite Gunners, Alex Song, is on the squad and could wreck havoc in their opponents midfield. They have a tough group, so their hope is to take it to Japan and Denmark, and hope not to get killed by the Netherlands. One more reason to cheer them on, their nickname: the Indomitable Lions.

Somewhat for
Brazil - The Brazilians are, historically and unarguably, the best football team in the world. Which is why I will only be "kind of" cheering for them. I kind of want to see a team that isn't Brazil, Italy, France or Germany win the Cup. But it's hard not to cheer for a team that plays such beautiful football.

Spain - I have Spain beating Brazil in the final. If my teams can't make it the final, I would love love love to see a Spain-Brazil final. Pretty easily the best two teams in the world these days and both play an incredibly beautiful game. Also, Cesc Fabergas of Arsenal and NOT of [swearword] Barca, plays for Spain.

Argentina - Similar to the previous two teams. Argentina is an amazing team to watch. They currently have the best player in the world in Lionel Messi, who is an incredible striker and is WAY cooler than Cristiano Ronaldo. But they also have an incredibly odd and famous coach in Diego Maradona, who has, as a player, provided some of the greatest moments in World Cup history. But he's also kind of a loudmouthed jerk, so...

South Africa - You gotta cheer for the home team. I mean, they really don't stand a chance, but it would be great to see them pull an Invictus. Plus Nelson Mandela is really cool.

Japan - I like Japan, and of the Asian teams they are who I would prefer to go furtherest. They have a tough group in the Netherlands, Denmark and Cameroon, but they could pull it off. Bonus: sushi, and I love sushi.

Against
France - I liked France in the last Cup, but I don't think I'll be pulling for them this time 'round. Though they have four Gunners [Gallas, Clichy, Sagna, Diaby] and one Arsenal legend [Henry], I still have a bitter taste for them. First: Zidane's headbutt from oh-six. Second: Ribery is, well, scandalous. Third: their coach is weird. Lastly, most importantly: they shouldn't be in it. If you don't know - Henry's obvious-double-handball assist put them in and Ireland out.

Italy - Similar argument that I made against Brazil, except Brazil plays a lot better football and doesn't fall on the ground as much.

Mexico - Me cheering against Mexico says nothing about my thoughts on immigration reform, but is all about them being the United States' biggest rivals. I would love to see them, somehow, playing the US in the knockout rounds and us destroying them. The US beating Mexico in football is a wonderful feeling.

Portugal - I love Portugal. One of my bestest friends is from Porto and I would love to see them do well. All this is cast away with the ego and hairdo of one man: Cristiano Ronaldo. An amazing player, but a total.. well, you get what I mean. This will give you an idea of what I mean.

North Korea - I really have nothing against North Koreans per se, but their dictator is crazy and his ways are destructive and the people probably don't even realize it. My feelings toward North Korea really deserve a full blog post, so maybe someday. Why include them here? Well, I needed five teams under each category and the country's leaders frequently threaten the US and its allies. Plus, it will most likely be reported that the team won the World Cup, despite being absolutely crushed in the group round. Maybe the North Korean players will have a chance to defect during the Cup. That will be the only thing I'm cheering for in regards to North Korea.


And there are seventeen other teams. Congrats to you if you made it this far in my blog. Further congrats if you went to more than three of the links. My predictions are: Spain over Brazil in the final, and England over Germany for third. Best games other than the final: England v. France and the Netherlands v. Brazil in the quarters. And even if everything I said is wrong and Uruguay beats New Zealand in the final, it will still be an amazing month of football. Goooooooool!!! you have my love.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

You have a great writing style and I love the pics on your site- very artistic!