Saturday, February 14, 2009

Her?

I'm a little nervous to write this post, partially because of what reactions [or lack thereof] might occur, and partially because of what could come from it. That second source of nervousness is why I think I should write this, so here it goes.

Today I am announcing an initiative well-fitting of the day it's being announced on: "Her? A Campaign to get Travis Dating". I know that this could cause of furor amongst the remaining iEHBS members, but please note that it's a campaign to get me dating, but a campaign to get me a girlfriend. Big difference. My attitude has always been to be skeptical of dating [not sure of the root of that], but something changed when I attended the Chambers-Johnson "incident" [wedding]. Upon returning to the land of snow and ice my thoughts meandered towards the idea of getting myself comfortable with casual dating, as I have no experience with it whatsoever, in hopes of preparing me for the possibility of someday being in a serious dating relationship. In short, though I'm jokingly bringing it about, I feel that this could be a good thing for my psyche.

How will this campaign work? Well, it depends on you the reader [no pressure]. I am in no position to find single ladies on my own. The places in which I spend nearly all of my time [school, work, my car, Wilson House] are not very conducive to finding compatible ladies for me to date. So the campaign is this: readers, set me up on dates [blind or not] with single ladies that you think I would get along with. I will give priority [if needed] to those who I feel know me best, as the people who know me best would have a better idea of who would be a good match for me. Why you? Well, I trust my readers, mostly because you're my friends. And you're much cheaper than eHarmony. That being said, there will be rewards [titles] for those who participate in this campaign:

1) Pledges. Those who pledge to actively look for someone to set me up with.

2) Not-liars. People who actually do what they pledged to do and set me up with someone.

3) Winners. People who set me up with someone that I am fairly compatible with.

If you set up a double date for me and my friend Kevin, all rewards will be doubled. And I suppose if anything comes from the set-up you could possibly get mad props at any further advancement in the relationship [engagement, marriage, fifty-year anniversary]. But let's not start with that, the point is to minimize the pressure of casual dating.

So there is the inauguration of the campaign. Was I right to be nervous in writing this? Will anyone respond? Will it be the most awkward blog post ever? I'm not sure, but I suppose it's time to find out. you have my love.

5 comments:

Jennifer VM said...

Well, it's a good thing I moved so no one is put off by my elevated status in your life. I continue to search my small circle of familiars here in MI, so maybe I will be able to be a Pledge at some point. You're very brave. I'm proud of you!

barb said...

first of all, I can't believe you can't find someone compatible while in your car. I ask, why not?
secondly, if someone is actively praying for you to find someone, does that fall under the 'pledge' title?
third: I will hereby ratchet-down above-mentioned praying from asking God to give you a mate to asking God to send you casual dates.
fourth: next time you and kevin come for family dinner, I will also invite suitable single women.
sorry I failed to do that last time.

This woman's daughter said...

I pledge to be a part of this. The one quality single godly girl that i would hope to set up with you/kevin has accepted a job offer. in paris.
soo...cool.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the arrested development reference. Greatly.

My main interaction these days is with international students at work, so I'm not sure how much you want to be affiliated with China, but I can commit to prayer.

Kaci Jo said...

I WIN!!!!!!!!! SEND MANY MAD PROPS MY WAY!!!!!!!!!